Wednesday, September 8, 2010

PCRM 21 day Kickstart Journal, recipes and weight loss menu plan.....

PCRM 21 Day Kickstart Journal

I decided to participate in the PCRM kickstart and keep a photo journal of my experience on the blog.  I have an interesting habit of taking basic recipes and creating with them to make something fabulous!  I will be documenting what I eat every day along with pictures, recipes and my thoughts about the food and my overall experience.

I will be experimenting with the recipes and I will post my versions of each recipe so you can try them out.  I think this will be an excellent opportunity for those who are looking to lose a few pounds to have a healthy weight loss menu plan with recipes that they can easily follow.

Day 1 

I am very excited to get started on the kickstart, the menus look excellent!
Breakfast:

Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal Recipe





This is a delicious, simple breakfast recipe!  This was very filling and I loved the flavor.  This is an excellent weight loss breakfast.


 
Lunch:

Roasted Red Bell Pepper Soup Recipe
Okay, this was AMAZING!!!  I did tweak the recipe quite a bit from the original but WOW, this is amazing!!  Excellent, low calorie, high nutrient lunch.  If you are looking to lose weight this is an excellent option, it is filling and yet low in calories.

-->

Roasted Red Bell Pepper and Carrot soup Recipe
 

****My variations:
If you want to make a dinner meal out of this you can easily add black beans, corn, brown rice etc... to make it a heartier soup.  Add these ingredients after blending.  ENJOY!

I did not make the Couscous confetti salad, I didn't have time to do it and I can't eat that much anyway so I just ate the soup.

Dinner

Hoppin John Salad

The original recipe calls for brown rice, but I was in a hurry and I have fresh potatoes from my garden so I used potatoes instead.  This has a very mild flavor but we really enjoyed it.  This does not taste oily and fattening like a typical potato salad, it is very light and mild.
--> 


Steamed Greens and veggies

I served this with steamed kale and veggies, it was a nice, quick, simple meal.



Thoughts on Day 1

The food was very good, very satisfying and it definitely reduced my cravings for sugar.  Usually by the end of the day I am craving desserts, today my cravings were significantly less.
I did tweak recipes, I don't know if I could make a recipe as written, but I think all in all the nutrient integrity of the recipes was intact and the food was delicious!



DAY 2

I am a little late in starting the blog because I had to get the pictures loaded so here is day 2.

Breakfast:

Cereal with Fruit  
I do not believe cereal is the best breakfast and I don't eat cereal for breakfast so I created my own breakfast bowl recipe for Day 2.

My Version is Fruit & Buckwheat


My Fruit Breakfast Recipe

1/2 banana
1/2 apple
3 strawberries
1 Tb. raisins or currants
1 Tb. oats
1 Tb. buckwheat
1/2 c. hemp or soymilk




Lunch

 Veggie Burger = Portobello Burger


This is a simple portobello mushroom cap marinated and roasted in the oven.  I made this for hubby, mine did not have veganaise on it.  I also had this with a nice salad.

You are supposed to have leftover roasted red bell pepper soup, but I didn't have any left :-D

Dinner

I am sorry but tonight we were on our way out to get wood to heat the house for the winter and I just grabbed a quick salad and 1/2 sprouted grain wrap for dinner before leaving.  I keep homemade oil free dressings in the fridge to have at times like these when I have to run out the door.


DAY 3

Breakfast

Breakfast today was the Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal again.  

I really enjoy this breakfast so I was happy to have it again.


Lunch 


Veggie Sandwich or Wrap and Salad


Simple Wrap and Salad Recipe:

1/2 ezekiel tortilla
1 Tb. hummus
2 slices tomato
4 slices cucumber
1/2 c. green leaf lettuce
1 slice onion

Salad:

1 c. green leaf lettuce
5 cucumber slices
2 slices tomato
1/2 c. broccoli

I served this with my homemade oil free vegan caesar dressing recipe.



Dinner


Curried Potato Bean Stew



This was a very interesting experiment, it was supposed to be a curried lentil soup and I LOVE lentils.  Unfortunately I found that I was out of lentils, so I used pinto beans instead.  As I was making the soup I found the taste to be too bitter and bland.  So I decided this recipe needed a major overhaul.

The end result was good, it's not a soup that I would call fantastic, but it's simple, easy and it does taste good.  My husband liked it and he's pretty picky, the kids did not like the 'spiciness' of the curry so they wouldn't eat it.
The end result:

Potato Bean Curried Stew Recipe

 

****Recipe Tip:  Whenever you are making a soup, if it tastes bland or seems runny you can always remove 2 c.  of the veggies and broth and blend it with some cashews and it will enhance the flavor and thicken the soup.

This recipe turned out to be fairly good considering the flavor I was working with in the original recipe.  Go ahead and give it a try and let me know what you think.

Hoppin John with Flair and Corn



We have delicious fresh corn in the garden so the kids went out and picked it, and it was delicious!!

I had left over hoppin john salad that I needed to use and it definitely needed a taste enhancement so I dumped the rest of my oil free italian dressing on it and viola, something new for dinner.

Experience so far:

Well, I haven't lost any weight being on this diet but then again I really only have a few pounds I want to lose so I guess that's not a surprise.  The food has been great and I've really enjoyed the experience so far.   

Anyone who is looking for a healthy diet and needs it all laid out for them, this is definitely an easy way to go.

No comments: