Monday, July 18, 2011

Vegan Mongolian Stir Fry Recipe


I have been craving Chinese food in the evenings lately and wanted to create an amazing Chinese recipe.  I was browsing through ideas and saw the P.F. Changs copycat recipe for Mongolian Beef.   I read through reviews and found that the Mongolian Beef at P.F. Changs seemed to be a popular dish.  I have never eaten this dish.....obviously but I thought I could create a beautiful vegetarian version of mongolian beef.

When I first downloaded this photo to my computer I hesistated posting it.  Some of you may understand my hesitation but this recipe is so amazing I couldn't skip over it.  I don't post every recipe here, I save some of them for my newsletter readers and others for recipe collections and The Peaceful Kitchen Inner Circle that will be set up soon.

I used my lentil burgers in this recipe and they turned out absolutely delicious!  My husband raved over this dish he LOVED IT!  My kids also loved this, my son went back for seconds. 

I noticed that in many recipes for mongolian beef they call for 1/2 c. or 3/4 c. of sugar, I was not looking to make a meal that tasted like dessert.  Who eats that much sugar for dinner?  Yuck!  I do not believe you need that much sugar at all.  It turns out I was right, I used a small amount of turbinado and I cannot imagine what this dish would taste like with all that sugar, seriously.

I also added veggies, in this case I had a lot of cauliflower and carrots in the fridge and so I used them.  It would certainly be good with broccoli, mushrooms, zucchini or any other veggie you may have in the fridge.

Mongolian Stir Fry
Recipe serves 4

4 bean or lentil burgers sliced
2/3 c. carrots chopped
1 c. cauliflower finely chopped
4 green onions chopped
1 c. water
1/4 c. low sodium tamari
3 Tb. turbinado sugar
2 cloves garlic minced
1 tsp. sesame oil
1/2 tsp. ginger powder
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
2 Tb. cornstarch, arrowroot or tapioca powder

Sautee the veggies and ginger in water until the veggies are softened. Add all but the cornstarch and lentil burgers. Bring to a boil, mix cornstarch in some water and stir in until thickens. Once the sauce thickens add in the lentil or black bean burgers and stir them in to coat with the sauce.  Serve over brown rice.

No comments: