Thursday, January 13, 2011

Gluten free pop tart recipe, vegan enchilada recipe, guacamole and cheese sandwich....

Gluten Free Pop Tart Recipe

My children have been begging me to make them 'healthy' pop tarts ever since I let them have the ones from the health food store.  I don't consider the pop tarts in the health food store to be healthy by any stretch of the imagination but they did have them once and they have begged for more.

I told them that some day I would make them healthier, whole grain pop tarts that were low in sugar.  Well, finally last night I decided to take on the challenge and the result was absolutely DIVINE!!!




****Warning:  If you choose to make this recipe the dough is EXTREMELY hard to work with!!!!  Please take this into account.

In order to produce a very flaky crust it is difficult to work with, I couldn't roll it out so I pressed it with my hands.  It is well worth the effort, trust me.

Gluten free pop tarts are a little tricky, I wanted to make the crust flaky, which can be hard since I did not want to use a lot of refined oil in the recipe.  I have found that macadamia nuts make delicious, flaky crusts so the gluten free pop tart recipe utilizes gluten free macadamia nuts to achieve this.   The dough is crumbly which I am sure many gluten free eaters are familiar with.  I can make dough that is not crumbly but in this case it would make the crust more chewy than flaky so you just have to deal with crumbly dough ;-D

I know so many people who loved pop tarts as children and who want a gluten free pop tart recipe.  This recipe was not designed to merely be a gluten free alternative to pop tarts, it is designed to actually be healthier.  While I wouldn't consider this top on my list of healthy foods, the combination of fruit juice sweetened jam, nuts and whole grain gluten free flours makes this an acceptable dessert for those on a healthy diet.  This gluten free pop tart recipe will BLOW YOU AWAY!!  It is amazing, the ingredients may seem a little strange but trust me, you will love these decadent little gluten free pop tarts.  You won't miss the junk food, sugar and high fructose laden store bought pop tarts.



Vegan Sunburger Enchilada Recipe
 
These are delicious enchiladas!!!   This vegan enchilada recipe takes a bit of prep work and you do need to have the sunburgers on hand, but if you eat like we do you have time set aside on Saturdays to make and freeze your sunburgers.   The cream sauce in this vegan enchilada recipe is a substitution for the typical cream of chicken soup found in traditional creamy enchilada recipes.  You can use either tofu or cashew sour cream depending on your preference. 

I added broccoli to this enchilada recipe because I believe every single meal should contain vegetables!  In many other blog posts I have detailed the amazing nutrient content of vegetables so by now you probably understand why there are vegetables in all my recipes.  In fact, when I make this enchilada recipe for my family it contains many more veggies than the enchilada photo above.  I left out the veggies because I realize most people do not eat veggie enchiladas often and may not find the spinach, carrots, and cauliflower very appetizing in an enchilada recipe so this recipe has been toned down.  If you, however enjoy veggies as much as we do feel free to experiment with the recipe and add your favorite veggies to the enchilada recipe!

 
Guacamole and Cheese Veggie Sandwich
 
My husband came home late from work one night and me and the kids had just had random leftovers for dinner so I created this sandwich from leftovers and he LOVED IT!!  So easy and so delicious!
 
 
This is simple to make:
 
Left over cheese sauce from the enchilada recipe above
Guacamole
Romaine or Green leaf lettuce
Sliced tomato
Sunburger
Onion sliced
Sprouts are also a good option
Whole grain pita or whole grain bread
 

I truly hope that you try the gluten free pop tart recipe, even if you do not generally eat gluten free I promise you will enjoy this delicious pop tart recipe.  The vegan enchilada recipe was created because it is such a common staple food that many people eat on a regular basis and I realize that one of the hardest things about changing your diet is finding subsitutions for your favorite foods.  This vegan enchilada recipe is a delicious subsitution for traditional, extremely unhealthy enchilada recipes. 

Enjoy!

No comments: