Monday, January 27, 2014

The Peaceful Kitchen Returns......


The Peaceful Kitchen Returns....
after 6 months

Sweet Poison!

If you would like to continue to follow my work......
My recipes and I can now be found @

I hope to see you there!    
 
I am not going to go into all the reasons why I took a 6 month sabatical from blogging, it was due to some hurtful things that happened but I won't name any names, however, I have decided to move in a new direction with my blog.  I posted awhile ago about my 26 year battle with PCOS and I have finally come to the realization that as much as I LOVE, LOVE sugar.....Sugar does NOT love me back!

I have battled the idea of going completely sugar free for years.....but I have only made it 30 days without sugar and then it was followed but a gluttonous binge of everything sweet I could think of...with a subsequent 5 lb. weight gain to go along with it.

I've known for a long time what I needed to do to finally beat PCOS but I have hesitated, whined, complained, thrown poor me pity parties, you name it....I pretty much threw a grown up version of a two-year old tantrum about having to give up my precious desserts and sweets!  Well, the other day as I was sitting there contemplating about my struggles with PCOS it dawned on me.  I have sought to help so many people in my life and have 'judged' them when they would rather suffer with their {insert ailment here}, anything from diabetes to daily debilitating migraines etc...  than change their diet.

Whoa!

Wait a minute....isn't that what I am doing?  Refusing to let go of my food addictions in order to heal my body....YIKES!  I am doing exactly what I hate when other people do.  If I had a dime for every person who asked me for help and subsequently had absolutely no intention of changing I would be a rich woman....I really would.

I finally decided that I had to stop posting all the delectable desserts and trying to cater to our sugar obsessed society and finally give up sugar and move toward a whole food plant based diet.....sans sugar!

I am Publicly Making the Commitment......NO SUGAR!

This means absolutely NO:


  • Agave nectar
  • Honey
  • Maple syrup
  • Turbinado
  • Succanut
  • Coconut sugar
  • Palm sugar
  • Barley malt
  • white sugar
  • Brown rice syrup

Any sugar that has been concentrated in any way or isolated from its original food!

Confession time:

I really did follow a healthy plant based diet.....however, that diet contained WAY Too much sugar.  Do you really want to know how much?

Dessert everyday!  Does that sound like a lot?  Well, unfortunately that is not all, I was eating dessert everyday for Lunch AND Dinner!

Yep you read that right!  I know, I know that is not healthy and no amount of vegetables or whole grains was going to override the amount of sugar I was eating.  I finally came to the realization that sugar made up way too much of my diet and then when I realized I needed to stop eating the dessert after lunch I would proceed to chew pieces of gum for more of a sugar rush to my sugar addicted taste buds.  


Today Marks Day 1 of Sugar Free!!!

I will post pictures and descriptions of my meals, along with a few recipes scattered in there to document my progress.  I am going in for blood tests today or tomorrow so I will post my beginning blood tests and then I will post blood tests again in 90 days.  No, I will not be stopping my diet in 90 days but I want to show my progress.

Breakfast:

I had a banana protein porridge made with my favorite Lifetime Life's Basics Plant Protein, Vanilla, 18.52-Ounces Tub
 I topped it with raspberries and blueberries


Lunch:

I made a homemade Sweet & Sour Orange Sesame Dressing
This lovely dressing topped a spring mix salad with mushrooms, garbanzo beans, celery, apples, onion.......

Dessert after Lunch:  5 raspberries and 1 slice of a golden delicious apple


Snack:  1 quinoa thin wafer with 1 tsp. almond butter 4 raspberries and 4 banana slices

Dinner:  French Lentil Curry


A successful Day 1:  I am feeling great, sugar cravings aren't too bad and I am feeling very satiated from my lunch.  I am determined to cure my PCOS and finally I am ready to COMMIT!



3 comments:

Linda said...

This is wonderful news! I've always enjoyed your writing style, but since I aggressively follow Dr. Fuhrman's autoimmune dietary protocol, most of your recipe creations cannot be food for me. I am thrilled to read that you are taking the emotional risk of giving up your sugar teddy bear in order to let your body heal. Way to go, girl! You won't regret it. NOTHING tastes as good as feeling great.

Pilates said...

Linda- Thank you so much! I'd love to make some creations that fit your dietary needs...so if you have favorite foods you'd like a version to fit your dietary restrictions let me know and I will create a recipe for you :-)

Jane Birch said...

That was a gusty post, Tandi!! I'm excited to hear about your adventure. You will continue to bless many lives!