Friday, February 24, 2012

Vegan Tempeh sausage Gumbo in honor of Mardi Gras

Delicious Vegan Spicy Tempeh Sausage Gumbo


If you would like to continue following my work please visit my new site:  http://www.plantbasednutritionista.com

I hope to see you there!


Savory, spicy tempeh sausage graces this rich and delicious vegan version of gumbo.  This vegan gumbo is flavored with a delicious mix of spices, lots of veggies as well as a homemade spicy vegan sausage and my famous sunburgers.

The spiciness of this dish can easily be adjusted according to your personal taste.  My family cannot even handle the spiciness of a garlic clove so I made this dish without the hot sauce, chili flakes and cayenne for them and then I added the spice for me.  You can give it just a little kick or you can pour on the hot sauce, however you like your gumbo!  This gumbo has a lovely flavor without the spice if you have a sensitive mouth like my family.

I must admit, I have NEVER tasted gumbo before in my life!

So you'll have to forgive me if it does not have the authentic flavor you are used to.  I researched a lot of gumbo recipes and I must admit there is a WIDE variation in ingredients.  Some used canned tomatoes and tomato paste, some didn't use any tomatoes!  It was hard to create a genuine recipe with such a wide variation among recipes so I tried to come up with the best of all recipes in my version.

My husband had quite a few cankers when I made this recipe and that is the reason I did not use any tomatoes because they sting his mouth when he has cankers.  If you want to add a can of diced tomatoes with green chilies to this recipe I think it would add an excellent flavor!  Play with the recipe and see what you like.

My family LOVED this recipe!  Even my kids really enjoyed this recipe.  It has a delicious, subtle flavor and then you add the amount of kick you like, it is so easy to make.


 
Up coming Recipes you DON'T want to miss.....
 
HUGE fluffy vegan & gluten free buttermilk biscuits
 
HUGE vegan & gluten free cinnamon rolls
 
Vegan & gluten free black bean ravioli in a roasted red bell pepper cream sauce
 
and much more.......

No comments: